This week’s food in drink quiz is all about my favourite – alcohol.
1. Which three letters are used to represent the UK standard measurement for the alcoholic content of drink?
ABV (Alcohol By Volume)
2. From which plant, similar to a cactus, is tequila made?
3. Hennessy and Martell are two of the best-known brands of which alcoholic drink?
4. Which drink, a favourite of the bohemians of Paris, has been known as the ‘Green Fairy’?
5. A French Benedictine monk is frequently (although many say erroneously) credited with the invention of Champagne; what was his name?
6. Which two drinks are mixed together to make a ‘Black Velvet’?
Guinness and Champagne (or any stout beer plus sparkling wine)
7. Which breed of dog is also the name of a cocktail?
Greyhound (Vodka and grapefruit juice)
8. Which drink was marketed as being ‘good for you’, a slogan born in the 1920s?
9. Which spirit is the base of a ‘Tom Collins’ cocktail?
Gin (plus lemon juice, sugar and soda water)
10. If I shake together 35ml of tequila, 20ml Cointreau and 15ml lime juice and pour it into a salt-rimmed glass with ice what do I have?