1. Which type of mammal was the first to be launched into space?
Monkey (a rhesus monkey named Albert II was launched into space by the USA in June 1949)
2. Which invention came first: Velcro or the zip?
Zip (Final version launched in 1913 – Velcro wasn’t patented until 1955)
3. What name is given in mechanics to the pivot, point or support about which a lever turns?
4. Heliocentrism is the astronomical model of what?
Planets revolving around the sun
5. What is the Fahrenheit equivalent of one hundred degrees Celsius?
212 degrees Fahrenheit (Boiling point of water)
6. Which common machine was invented by Edwin Budding in 1830?
7. Which planet is smaller: Saturn, Uranus or Neptune?
Neptune (Saturn is the largest of the three)
8. ‘Czar’, ‘Jefferson’ and ‘Warwickshire Drooper’ are popular UK varieties of which fruit?
9. Which has the largest wingspan of any living bird?
Albatross (Wandering Albatross)
10. The parathyroid glands regulate the level of which mineral in the human body?