1. Who was the first wife of Henry VIII?
Catherine of Aragon
2. Who became the first President of the Republic of Ireland in June 1938?
3. The USSR dissolved into how may independent countries in 1991?
Fifteen (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Russia)
4. The Belgian revolution of 1830-1831 led to their independence from which country?
5. Approximately how many thousand years ago was Stonehenge erected?
5000 (erected around 2500BC )
6. A surprise attack by the Japanese on which naval base led to the US entering World War II?
7. The Battle of Bosworth Field was the last significant battle of which series of civil wars?
Wars of the Roses
8. Which famous first was achieved by Constance Markievicz on 14th December 1918?
She was the first woman to be elected to the British House of Commons (She did not, however, take her seat – Nancy Astor was the first to do so in 1919)
9. On which date did Euro coins and bank notes first enter general circulation?
1st January 2002
10. How many British monarchs were crowned during the twentieth century?
Four (Edward VII, George V, George VI and Elizabeth II – Edward VIII was never crowned)