1. Which country has won the most medals at the Summer Olympic Games since the modern games began in 1896?
USA (2399 medals up to 2012)
2. In which year did Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards become the first competitor since 1929 to represent Great Britain in Olympic ski jumping?
3. In which year did women compete in the Olympic Games for the first time?
4. Which Frenchman is often considered to be the father of the modern Olympic Games, as he founded the International Olympic Committee in 1894?
Pierre de Coubertin
5. In which stadium in Rio de Janiero did the 2016 opening ceremony take place?
6. Which sport features in the 2016 Olympics for the first time since 1904?
7. What is the Olympic motto?
Citius – Altius – Fortius (Faster – Higher – Stronger)
8. Which country enters the stadium first during the “Parade of Nations” at the opening ceremony?
Greece (Followed by the other countries in alphabetical order according the host nation’s language with the host nation going last)
9. Who holds the individual record for most Summer Olympic medals won in total? (Before the Rio 2016 Olympics began)
10. The Summer Olympic Games has been held every four years since 1896 apart from on three occasions when they were cancelled. Give two of the three years when the Summer Olympic Games were cancelled.
1916, 1940 and 1944 (due to the First and Second World Wars)