Quite simply – true or false?
1. In Mexico they celebrate ‘El Día de los muertos’ (The Day of the Dead), which instead of being one day, as the title suggests, starts at midnight on October 31st and lasts until November 2nd.
2. UK shops earn more revenue from Halloween than they do from Bonfire Night
3. In the year 2020, Halloween will fall on a Tuesday.
False – it will fall on a Saturday
4. The Celtic festival of ‘Samhain’ marks the end of the harvest season and takes place from sunset on October 31st until sunset on November 1st.
5. The child actress Heather O’Rourke, famous for playing Carol Anne Freeling in Spielberg’s ‘Poltergeist’, died in February 1988, aged 12, four months before the third ‘Poltergeist’ film was released.
6. Christopher Lee, famous for portraying Count Dracula in Hammer Horror films, was born on Halloween in 1922.
False- he was born in 1922, but on 27th May
7. Brandon Lee died during filming for ‘The Crow’ in 1994 after an accident with a prop gun during a shooting scene.
8. Michael Keaton was originally offered Johnny Depp’s leading role in the 1990 film ‘Edward Scissorhands.’
9. Jack MacGowran and Vasiliki Maliaros both acted in the film ‘The Exorcist’ and died in the same year it was released.
10. Stephen King’s ‘The Shining’ was originally called ‘Halloween Hotel’.