2017 News Quiz.
1. Which Spanish region held a referendum on 1st October on whether they should gain independence from the rest of the country?
2. Angela Merkel was re-elected as Chancellor of Germany this year. How many terms will she now have served?
3. The director of the FBI was fired by President Trump in May – what is his name?
4. Which country’s former president, the first woman to be elected as such, was jailed in March following a corruption scandal?
South Korea (Park Geun-hye)
5. Emmanuel Macron won the French presidential election in May – Who was the other of the last two candidates?
Marine Le Pen (National front)
6. In June, President Trump announced the US’s withdrawal from a climate agreement which is named after which capital city?
Paris (Paris Agreement/Paris Climate Accord/Paris Climate Agreement)
7. Which country caused uproar in February when its president signed an amendment which decriminalised ‘moderate’ violence within families?
8. In which month of 2017 was Article 50 triggered by Theresa May?
9. Name two of the three countries which legalised same-sex marriage this year.
Australia, Germany and Malta (Two of)
10. Prince Harry’s fiancée Megan Markle starred in which American legal drama series between 2011 and 2017?
To download the 2017 News Quiz as a PDF contestant question paper, with printed questions only plus spaces for contestant answers, please click on the grey box below: