The answers to all of the following are numbers or years.
1.How long does it take on average, in minutes, for light to travel from the Sun’s surface to the Earth?
8 minutes and 20 seconds (accept 8 or 9 minutes)
2. In which decade did Alfred Nobel patent the invention of dynamite?
1860s (1867 to be exact)
3. How high, in metres, is Mount Everest?
8848 metres (accept anything between 8500 and 9000)
4. According to the Guinness Book of Records, how tall was the tallest man who ever lived? (Answer in either metres or feet)
2.72 metres / 8 feet 11 inches (accept between 2.70 and 2.75 metres / between 8 feet 10 and 9 feet)
5. In which year was the first human heart transplant?
6. Which number represents carbon in the periodic table?
7. According to the Guinness Book of Records, what is the greatest number of children to be delivered at a single birth to survive?
8 (Nadya Suleman gave birth to 6 boys and 2 girls in January 2009)
8. Approximately what percentage of the Earth’s surface is water?
71% (Accept between 69% and 73%)
9. The average adult brain has how many cells: 1 billion, 10 billion or 100 billion?
10. In which year was the first Apple Macintosh computer released?