1. Who was Prime Minister of the UK when the National Health Service was introduced?
2. What was the name of the ship in which Sir Francis Drake circumnavigated the globe between 1577 and 1580?
The Golden Hinde
3. Which European city hosted the summer Olympic Games in the year 1900?
4. ‘Jurassic’ is one of the three periods within the ‘Mesozoic Era’, a time when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Can you name either of the other two?
‘Triassic’ or ‘Cretaceous’
5. Since the first Royal Coronation at Westminster Abbey in 1066, only two monarchs have not been crowned. Can you name them both?
Edward V and Edward VIII
6. Which Archbishop of Canterbury was burned to death in Oxford in the year 1556?
7. The ‘Gunpowder Plot’ was a failed assassination attempt against which King?
James I of England and VI of Scotland
8. Which year saw the start of the American Civil War?
9. Which organisation was founded by Catherine and William Booth in 1865?
The Salvation Army
10. Who received a patent for vulcanized rubber in 1844?