1. Which 1887 detective novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle marked the first appearance of Sherlock Holmes?
A Study in Scarlet
2. Which French Post-Impressionist painter’s works include ‘The Card Players’ and ‘The Bathers’?
3. Which former journalist and spy has written many novels, including ‘The Day of the Jackal’ and ‘The Odessa File’?
4. In Oscar Wilde’s ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’, Jack informs Lady Bracknell that as a baby he was found in a handbag in the cloakroom of a railway station. Which station?
5. Who designed the sculpture ‘The Angel of The North’?
Sir Antony Gormley
6. What was the name of Don Quixote’s horse?
7. In Alice Walker’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel ‘The Color Purple’, the protagonist and narrator, Celie, grows up in which US state?
8. The architect Walter Gropius was the founder of which German art school?
9. Who created the character ‘Detective Inspector Jack Frost’ who appeared in nine published novels and a successful television series?
10. The Venus de Milo is one of the most famous works of Greek sculpture – but was it created BC or AD?
BC (At some point between 13o and 100 BC)