1. Cecil the lion was killed in Zimbabwe in July by an American big-game hunter – what was the hunter’s name?
2. Ethel Lang, the last living UK resident born during the reign of Queen Victoria, died in July. How old was she?
3. David Cameron called an emergency COBRA meeting to discuss December’s floods. What does COBRA stand for?
Cabinet Office Briefing Room A
4. What was the name of the 200-year-old pub in Summerseat that collapsed when the River Irell flooded?
5. How could Facebook users show their support for France after the Paris attacks in November?
They could turn their profile photos red, white and blue
6. What was the name of the last deep coal mine in North Yorkshire which closed in December this year?
7. Paul O’Grady spoke at the funeral of which English entertainer this year?
8. Who replaced Nick Clegg as leader of the Liberal Democrats in July?
9. What is the full name of the new baby born to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this year?
Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge
10. What is the name of the British ESA astronaut launched into space in December this year?
To download the 2015 News Quiz as a PDF question paper for contestants, please click on the grey box below: